This group of tests provides an overall assessment environmental exposure. If you believe you have been exposed to environmental or occupational hazards this test can confirm common markers including: Arsenic, Lead, Cadmium, and Mercury
Arsenic is a chemical present in the environment as a naturally occurring substance and as a result of human activity. It is found in water, air, food and soil. There are two general types of arsenic: organic and inorganic. The inorganic forms of arsenic are the harmful forms, while most of the organic forms of arsenic are essentially harmless.
Lead is a soft metal present in the environment. When it is inhaled or ingested, lead can cause damage to the brain, organs, and nervous system. This test measures the current lead level in the blood.
Even at low levels, lead can cause irreversible damage without causing physical symptoms. In an infant, lead can cause permanent cognitive impairment, behavioral disorders, and developmental delays. Lead exposure can cause weakness, anemia, nausea, weight loss, fatigue, headaches, stomach pain, and kidney, nervous system, and reproductive dysfunction. Lead can be passed from mothers to their unborn children and can cause miscarriages and premature births.
|5-9.9 µg/dL||Adverse health effects are possible|
|10-19.9||Reduced lead exposure and Increased biological monitoring are recommended|
|20-69.9||Consider chelation therapy when concentrations exceed 50 µg/dL and symptoms of lead toxicity are present|
|> 69.9||Critical. Immediate medical evaluation is recommended.|
Cadmium (Cd), a by-product of zinc production, is one of the most toxic elements to which an individual can be exposed at work or in the environment. Once absorbed, Cd is efficiently retained in the human body, in which it accumulates throughout life. Cd is primarily toxic to the kidney, especially to the proximal tubular cells, the main site of accumulation.
|> 5 µg/dL||Adverse health effects are possible|
Levels of mercury in blood and urine are normally very low. A test result showing no mercury or a low level indicates that it is likely that the person tested has not been exposed to excessive levels of mercury, at least not in the window of time that the test is measuring.
An increased blood level suggests a relatively recent exposure to mercury. In general, a blood level greater than 10 mcg/L indicates an unusual level of exposure for someone who does not regularly work with mercury.
|> 10||Adverse health effects are possible|