SARS-CoV-2 RNA Detection CPT: 87635
Expected Turnaround Time
Within 24-72 hours
Turnaround time is defined as the usual number of days from the date of pickup of a specimen for testing to when the result is released to the ordering provider. In some cases, additional time should be allowed for additional confirmatory or additional reflex tests. Testing schedules may vary.
Universal transport media, viral transport media, or equivalent (eg, Copan UTM-RT, BD VTM, MicroTest M4, M4-RT, M5)
1. Collect specimen by swabbing back and forth over nasal or pharyngeal mucosa surface to maximize recovery of cells.
2. NP and OP swab specimens may be combined at collection into a single vial of transport media but only one swab is required for analysis.
3. Swab must be placed into transport medium. Swab shaft should be broken or cut so that there is no obstruction to the sample or pressure on the media container cap.
4. Do not send in glass tubes, vacutainer tubes, or tubes with push caps.
5. Do not overfill with more than 3 mL total volume of media.
Maintain specimen at room temperature.
|Room Temperature||Not recommended|
Molecular (RT-PCR) or antigen test: To diagnose a SARS-CoV-2 infection (COVID-19).
Molecular or antigen test: When you have symptoms of SARS-CoV-2 infection and/or have been exposed to someone with the virus
Molecular or antigen test: To diagnose current infections, a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, a nasal swab and/or a throat swab is collected; sometimes a saliva sample may be collected.